Our center offers a variety of professional training opportunities to clinicians, other healthcare professionals, and pre-licensed graduates. Courses are designed with an attention to curriculum to build competency and skill in TEAM-CBT. Registering for all three quarters is highly recommended to clarify the theory behind the method before developing refinements. Multi-course registration qualifies for a tuition discount.
Quarter 1: Basics of TEAM-CBT
For beginners and those wishing to gain an understanding of the TEAM-CBT model from the beginning to end
9:30am – 11:00am
Course Overview: Basics of TEAM-CBT
- Analyze pre- and post-session data from BMS and Therapist Evaluation
- Describe a set of tools for assessment and evaluation to begin therapy
- Demonstrate “5 Secrets of Effective Communication” empathy skills
- Utilize empathy skills to address empathy failures
- Use empathy to manage hopelessness and angry criticism expressed by patients to move beyond being stuck
- Use empathy to manage sexually provocative patient situations
- Name the four steps in Agenda Setting
- Utilize the “Magic Button” question to identify Outcome Resistance
- Identify sources of Outcome and Process Resistance for depression, anxiety, and relationship problems
- Issue an Invitation to work on a specifically identified problem
- Demonstrate concept of Open Hands
- Utilize the Daily Mood Log and Recovery Circle to formalize Agenda Setting and transition to Methods
Quarter 2: Refining TEAM-CBT
For beginners to intermediates ready to apply the model and transition from mechanics to refinement
9:30am – 11:00am
Course Overview: Refining TEAM-CBT
- Introduce the EASY and Brief Mood Survey to patients
- Utilize pre- and post-session data from BMS and Evaluation of Therapy to correct empathy failures
- Describe and demonstrate all six of the “5 Secrets of Effective Communication”
- Use the Disarm with difficult patients and in empathy failures
- Demonstrate use of empathy when an Invitation is not accepted
- Describe the four steps of Agenda Setting
- Utilize the “Magic Button” and “Magic Dial” to identify Outcome Resistance
- Demonstrate Voice of the Resistance technique in Agenda Setting
- Using Paradoxical Agenda Setting techniques in Motivation step of Agenda Setting
- Introduce the Daily Mood Log and Recovery Circle to patients
- Set up and demonstrate Identify the Distortions
- Set up and demonstrate a Compassion Technique: Double Standard
- Set up and demonstrate a Role Play Technique: Externalization of Voices
- Introduce concept of and set up Relapse Prevention for patients.
For intermediates seeking to enhance their TEAM-CBT skills and develop the art of TEAM-CBT therapy
9:30am – 11:00am
Course Overview: TEAM-CBT Training
This class meets live, on-line for 8 weeks. The purpose of this class is to help improve and solidify individuals’ learnings in the basics and intermediate classes. Students can enjoy a variety of learning opportunities through personal work, case consultation, didactics, role plays, Q and A’s, etc. This class also has been helpful for clinicians getting ready for certification as a Level 3 TEAM-CBT therapist.
G. Katie Dashtban, Psy.D. and Karen Yeh, Psy.D. are Certified Level 4 TEAM-CBT trainers. Courses are offered on-site, online, or both.
The Feeling Good Wellness Center is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) now recognizes the APA continuing education credit for license renewal for its licensees, MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs, and/or LCSWs. The Feeling Good Wellness Center maintains responsibility for these programs and their content.
18 hours of continuing education credit are awarded for full attendance and completion of the basic and intermediate curriculum courses. See Attendance Policy for more details.